It is a marketing communication that employs an openly sponsored, non-personal message to promote or sell a product, service or idea.
Definition of Advertising
Advertising is a means of communication with the users of a product or service.
Advertising is always present, though people may not be aware of it. In today’s world, advertising uses every possible media to get its message through. It does this via television, print (newspapers, magazines, journals etc), radio, press, internet, direct selling, hoardings, mailers, contests, sponsorships, posters, clothes, events, colours, sounds, visuals and even people (endorsements).
What is Advertising ?
A paid communication message intended to inform people about something or to influence them to buy or try something.
Characteristics Of Advertising
- Paid Form: Advertising requires the advertiser (also called sponsor) to pay to create an advertising message, to buy advertising media slot, and to monitor advertising efforts.
- Tool For Promotion: Advertising is an element of the promotion mix of an organization.
- One Way Communication: Advertising is a one-way communication where brands communicate to the customers through different mediums.
- Personal or Non-Personal: Advertising can be non-personal in case of TV, Radio or Newspaper Advertisement and can be personal in case of social media advertisement.
Types Of Advertising
Advertising activities can be categorized into Above The Line (ATL), Below The Line (BTL) and Through The Line (TTL) advertisement.
- Above The Line (ATL): It includes activities that are largely non-targeted and have a wide reach. Examples of ATL advertising are TV, radio & newspaper advertisements.
- Below The Line (BTL): It includes conversion focused activities which are directed towards a specific target group. Examples of BTL advertising are billboards, sponsorship, in-store advertising, Glow Sign Board (GSB), Non-Lit Board, Inshop Branding and etc.
- Through The line (TTL): It includes activities which involve the use of both ATL & BTL strategies simultaneously. These are directed towards brand building and conversions and make use of targeted (personalized) advertisement strategies. Examples of TTL advertising are cookie based advertising, digital marketing strategies, etc.
Advertising activities can also be categorized into 5 types based on the advertisement medium used. These types of advertisements are:
- Print Advertising: Newspaper, Magazines, & Brochure advertisements, You can say POP(s) merchandising.
- Broadcast Advertising: Television and Radio advertisements.
- Outdoor Advertising (OOH): Hoardings, Banners, Flags, Wall Wraps, Billboard, Bus Shelter, Airport Branding, Railway Gantry and etc.
- Digital Advertising: Advertisements displayed over the internet and digital devices.
- Product/Brand Integration: Product placements in entertainment media like TV show, YouTube video, Facebook Video and etc.
Objectives Of Advertising
There are 3 main objectives of advertising.
Advertisements are used to increase brand awareness and brand exposure in the target market. Informing potential customers about the brand and its products is the first step towards attaining business goals.
Top of Mind Awareness (TOMA)
Persuading customers to perform a particular task is a prominent objective of advertising. The task may involve buying or trying the products and services offered, to form a brand image, develop a favorable attitude towards the brand.
Another objective of advertising is to reinforce the brand message and to reassure the existing and potential customers about the brand vision. Advertising helps the brand to maintain top of mind awareness and to avoid competitors stealing the customers. This also helps in the word of mouth publicity.
Other objectives of advertising are subsets of these three objectives. These subsets are:
- Brand Building
- Increasing Sales
- Creating Demand
- Expanding Customer Base
- Changing Customers’ attitudes, etc.
Importance Of Advertising
- Convenience: Targeted informative advertisements make the customer’s decision making process easier as they get to know what suits their requirements and budget.
- Awareness: Advertising educates the customers about different products available in the market and their features. This knowledge helps customers compare different products and choose the best product for them.
- Better Quality: Only brands advertise themselves and their products. There are no advertisements for unbranded products. This ensures better quality to the customers as no brand wants to waste money on false advertising.
- Awareness: Advertising increases the brand and product awareness among the people belonging to the target market.
- Brand Image: Clever advertising helps the business to form the desired brand image and brand personality in the minds of the customers.
- Product Differentiation: Advertising helps the business to differentiate its product from those of competitors’ and communicate its features and advantages to the target audience.
- Increases Goodwill: Advertising reiterates brand vision and increases the goodwill of the brand among its customers.
- Value For Money: Advertising delivers the message to a wide audience and tends to be value for money when compared to other elements of the promotion mix.
Advantages Of Advertising
- Reduces Per-Unit Cost: The wide appeal of advertisements increases the demand for the product which benefits the organization as it capitalizes on the economies of scale.
- Helps In Brand Building: Advertisements work effectively in brand building. Brands who advertise are preferred over those which doesn’t.
- Helps In Launching New Product: Launching a new product is easy when it is backed by an advertisement.
- Boosts Up Existing Customers’ Confidence In The Brand: Advertisements boosts up existing customers’ confidence in the brand as they get a feeling of pride when they see an advertisement of the product or the brand they use.
- Helps In Reducing Customer Turnover: Strategic advertisements for new offers and better service helps reduce customer turnover.
- Attracts New Customers: Attractive advertisements help the brand in gaining new customers and expanding the business.
- Educates The Customers: Advertisements inform the customers about different products existing in the market and also educates them in what they should look for in an apt product.
Disadvantages Of Advertising
- Increases The Costs: Advertising is an expense to the business and is added to the cost of the product. This cost is eventually borne by the end consumer.
- Confuses The Buyer: Too many advertisements with similar claims often confuses the buyer in what to buy and should he buy the product or not.
- Is Sometimes Misleading: Some advertisements use smart strategies to mislead the customers.
- Only For Big Businesses: Advertising is a costly affair and only big businesses can afford it. This makes small businesses out of competition with big businesses who get to enjoy a monopoly in the market.
- Encourages The Sale Of Inferior Products: Effective advertisements even lead to the sale of inferior products which aren’t good for the consumers.
We are surrounded by advertisements. From TV to our mobile phones, we encounter advertisements everywhere. Following are a few examples of advertising.
TV Advertisements Example
Washing Powder Nirma is the world’s most famous TV advertisement.
Print Advertisements Example
Banana remove fat whatever you want to see‘ is a perfect example of a great print advertisement.
Radio Advertisements Example
Radio advertisements get more attention among the target customers and are also played more often. Here’s an example of a radio ad by Kneeraj for Panasonic India Brand Shop Divya Enterprises.
Digital Advertisements Example
Digital advertisements are advertisements made especially for the internet and digital devices users. These ads can be video, image, or text ads.
The digital video ads aren’t restricted to a 30-second or 50-second slot. An example of a digital video ad is this advertisement by Suvidha Search.
Outdoor Advertising Example
These include hoardings, banners, flags, wraps, etc. An example of an outdoor advertisement is this hoarding by Multiple Brand.
Fore more article, you can contact Haansgroup.